Cosmological Constants Perfectly Tuned for Life
According to Tim Keller in his book “The Reason for God”, it’s as if God had rolled a “Cosmic Welcome Mat” for the earth to begin and prosper. According to Francis Collins, a well-respected scientist who led work to map the human genome, there are a set of cosmological constants that are set to exactly the right value to allow complex life to form in the universe.
If ANY of these values had been off by a tiny margin, no life could have developed at all in the universe! Matter would not have coalesced, and there would have been no galaxies, no stars, no planets, and no people.
The following numbers represent the maximum deviation from the accepted values, that would either prevent the universe from existing now, not having matter, or be unsuitable for any form of life.
|Ratio of Electrons:Protons||1:1037|
|Ratio of Electromagnetic Force:Gravity||1:1040|
|Expansion Rate of Universe||1:1055|
|Mass Density of Universe1||1:1059|
|These numbers represent the maximum deviation from the accepted values, that would either prevent the universe from existing now, not having matter, or be unsuitable for any form of life.|
Fine tuning appears to have happened not only at a cosmological level, but also within our solar system, and even within the early system we live in.
>> Watch a Video on the “Fine-tuning of the Universe”, how our universe and its law are fine tuned to support life (6.26 minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpIiIaC4kRA
The Fine-tuning of the Earth
The Earth is perfectly sized to sustain complex life. The Earth’s size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth’s surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter.3 Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.
The Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up. Even a fractional variance in the Earth’s position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.
And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.4
What does the Bible have to say about creation?
- Romans 1:20 “For the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things which are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.”
Other amazing aspects of the earth, and of the human creature (and other life forms, for that matter), testify to a “master engineer” or designer of all life. The amazing properties of water, for example. And the complexity of the human brain, and the design of the human eye, to name a few examples.
The Amazing Properties of Water
Water…colorless, odorless and without taste, and yet no living thing can survive without it. Plants, animals and human beings consist mostly of water (about two-thirds of the human body is water). You’ll see why the characteristics of water are uniquely suited to life:
- It has a wide margin between its boiling point and freezing point. Water allows us to live in an environment offluctuating temperature changes, while keeping our bodies a steady 98.6 degrees.
- Water is a universal solvent. This property of water means that various chemicals, minerals and nutrients can be carried throughout our bodies and into the smallest blood vessels.
- Water is also chemically neutral. Without affecting the makeup of the substances it carries, water enables food, medicines and minerals to be absorbed and used by the body.
- Water has a unique surface tension. Water in plants can therefore flow upward against gravity, bringing life-giving water and nutrients to the top of even the tallest trees.
- Water freezes from the top down and floats, so fish can live in the winter.
- Ninety-seven percent of the Earth’s water is in the oceans. But on our Earth, there is a system designed which removes salt from the water and then distributes that water throughout the globe. Evaporation takes the ocean waters, leaving the salt, and forms clouds which are easily moved by the wind to disperse water over the land, for vegetation, animals and people. It is a system of purification and supply that sustains life on this planet, a system of recycled and reused water.
The Complexity of the Brain
The human brain…simultaneously processes an amazing amount of information. Your brain takes in all the colors and objects you see, the temperature around you, the pressure of your feet against the floor, the sounds around you, the dryness of your mouth, even the texture of your keyboard. Your brain holds and processes all your emotions, thoughts and memories. At the same time your brain keeps track of the ongoing functions of your body like your breathing pattern, eyelid movement, hunger and movement of the muscles in your hands.
The human brain processes more than a million messages a second. Your brain weighs the importance of all this data, filtering out the relatively unimportant. This screening function is what allows you to focus and operate effectively in your world. The brain functions differently than other organs. There is an intelligence to it, the ability to reason, to produce feelings, to dream and plan, to take action, and relate to other people.
The eye…can distinguish among seven million colors. It has automatic focusing and handles an astounding 1.5 million messages — simultaneously.8 Evolution focuses on mutations and changes from and within existing organisms. Yet evolution alone does not fully explain the initial source of the eye or the brain — the start of living organisms from nonliving matter.
What Does the Bible have to Say?
- Psalm 139: 14: “I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And thatmy soul knows very well.”
- Psalm 139:16 “Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being imperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them”
Additional study material to read: A review on “Darwin’s Black Box”, by Michael Behe – http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/darwinbx.html. Also read the book!
God and Science: http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/designun.html